A delicious chocolate cake with the amazing vibrance and nitrates given by our BeetActive® concentrate.
Low fat spread (for greasing)
50g Cocoa powder
175g Plain flour
1tsp Baking powder
200g Castor sugar
250g Cooked beetroot
60ml BeetActive concentrate
200ml Light olive oil
100g Plain (dark) chocolate, finely chopped
170g Icing sugar
Low fat creme fraiche, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4. Gease a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin with a little low-fat spread and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the castor sugar and mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
3. Beat the eggs and add the light olive oil, stirring slowly until mixed.
4. Drain the beetroot and grate into the egg and oil mixture. Add 60ml of BeetActive® concentrate.
5.Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and using a wooden spoon, beat in the BeetActive® mixture a little at a time to make a smooth batter.
6. Add the chopped chocolate and combine well. Pour the the mixture into the prepared cake tin for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
7. To make the icing, simply mix the icing sugar with a little water and add a little BeetActive® concentrate to make a deep purple pourable icing. Leave to set and serve with a spoonful of low fat creme fraiche.
Tip: Remember that it is important to include some low-fat dairy in your diet to support your bones and circulatory system, so a dollop of low-fat creme fraiche is the perfect accompaniment to a small slice of cake.